Why have I been referred?
You have been referred to the genetics service by your GP or health care professional. Some common reasons for referral are:
- You have a personal history and/or strong family history of cancer
- You want to discuss genetic testing for a condition already identified in your family
- Your child has a problem with growth and/or development
- You have lost a baby and would like to discuss whether there may be a genetic explanation for this
- You want to know if there may be a genetic reason for health problems in you or your child
- You or your child have been diagnosed with a genetic condition and you have been referred for specialist advice about this
- You are pregnant and want to discuss the implications of a known genetic disorder in your family
- You are pregnant and want to discuss a change in your baby seen on ultrasound scan or found through a prenatal test.
General information about the NHS Clinical Genetics service can be found at: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Genetics/Pages/genetic-testing-and-counselling.aspx